Apr 23, 2010, 1:52 PM EDT
I know a lot of you were surprised to find out last night that Jason Marquis won't need surgery to remove the "floating bodies" in his right elbow. Frankly, I was surprised, too. I figured it was a foregone conclusion he'd have the procedure, miss a couple months and then get back on the mound sometime this summer.
A couple of things to note, however…
— Marquis will need surgery at some point to remove the stuff. The hope would be that he can pitch his way through it for the rest of the season and then have surgery over the winter.
— There's no guarantee he can actually pitch with the stuff in there.
Craig Stammen tried to pitch last season with bone chips, and while the rookie right-hander did an admirable job for a while, eventually the pain became too much to bear. It also prevented him from throwing an effective curveball, and we've learned this spring howRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Breaking down an inexplicable loss for the Nats
- Moss' 3-run homer ends it as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nats make first round of September call-ups
- Nationals turn to Ross for big game in St. Louis
- The Baseball Show: Is Denard Span’s Nats career over?
- Nationals let another one slip away
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang