Apr 23, 2010, 1:52 PM EST
I know a lot of you were surprised to find out last night that Jason Marquis won't need surgery to remove the "floating bodies" in his right elbow. Frankly, I was surprised, too. I figured it was a foregone conclusion he'd have the procedure, miss a couple months and then get back on the mound sometime this summer.
A couple of things to note, however…
– Marquis will need surgery at some point to remove the stuff. The hope would be that he can pitch his way through it for the rest of the season and then have surgery over the winter.
– There's no guarantee he can actually pitch with the stuff in there.
Craig Stammen tried to pitch last season with bone chips, and while the rookie right-hander did an admirable job for a while, eventually the pain became too much to bear. It also prevented him from throwing an effective curveball, and we've learned this spring howRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'