Apr 24, 2010, 11:11 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Adam Dunn doubled in the fifth but struck out three times after that.
Holding court in front of his locker following a gut-wrenching, 4-3 loss to the Dodgers in 13 innings, Willie Harris had a somewhat surprising take on the events of the previous 4 hours and 20 minutes.
"That game, I think it shows you who we are," Harris said. "We're never going to give up. We're right there."
This upbeat take, remember, came after the Nationals lost a game they very easily could have won. They stranded 15 men on base. They had three more called out on the bases, two at the plate. If they did just one or two little things better, they'd have been celebrating a hard-earned victory over the two-time NL West champs.
But a Nationals club accustomed to losing and losing and losing over the last four years is starting to look at its situation in a new light. This wasn't a moral victory by any means. But the attitude inside the home clubhouse following a game like this would have been far different in 2008 or 2009.
"As far as the way we feel in here, it's aggravating, because we expect to win," Harris said. "We're not in rebuild-mode in our mind. We expect to win now."
Sometimes, blowout losses when your starting pitcher can't get out of the first inning are easier to swallow. What can you do? Nip-and-tuck losses like this, boasting all sorts of defensive wizardry, qualityRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win