Apr 25, 2010, 10:51 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats needed a brilliant performance from Scott Olsen to pull off today's win.
A lot of things have to happen to win a 1-0 ballgame. Your starting pitcher needs to be on top of his game. Your relievers can't afford to make a single mistake. Your defense needs to be flawless and produce a couple of highlight-reel plays on top of that.
It shouldn't come as much surprise that the Nationals hadn't pulled off a 1-0 victory in some time before today's thriller over the Dodgers. Their last win by that slimmest of margins? Sept. 16, 2008 over the Mets, with stellar pitching performances from such luminaries as Odalis Perez, Mike Hinckley and Joel Hanrahan.
So this one should be cherished by all 18,395 who were there to see it in person and certainly by the 25 men in uniform who made it happen. It required big efforts from plenty of them to accomplish this.
"This was a great game to be a part of," said Tyler Clippard, who churned out another scoreless inning of relief. "We did the little things right. Played great defense. Just a good team win."
Scott Olsen was the biggest star, his seven innings of shutout ball a total shot in the arm for a Nationals club that had to go into the day hopeful of the best but fearful of the worst out of the erratic left-hander. Only five days ago, Olsen was shellacked by the RockiesRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?