Apr 25, 2010, 4:48 PM EDT
Photo courtesy George Burkes
Justin Maxwell's diving catch in the ninth saved today's 1-0 win.
So, what's the domino effect of yesterday's 13-inning marathon? For the Nationals, not too bad. Jim Riggleman was able to get through that game with only four pitchers, thanks to Craig Stammen's six-inning start, and multiple-inning relief appearances from Matt Capps (2) and Miguel Batista (3).
For the Dodgers, though, yesterday took a greater toll. Joe Torre had to use seven pitchers, all of his relievers except for Ramon Ortiz. As reporters rattled off names of L.A. relievers this morning, Torre responded with their availability. George Sherrill? No. Hong-Chih Kuo? No. Ronald Belisario? Maybe. Jonathan Broxton? Maybe.
So the Dodgers actually recalled another arm for today's series finale, Jon Link. What's so special about Link? He's a local! Grew up and continues to reside in Chantilly, went to Chantilly High School. He just made his big-league debut Tuesday in Cincinnati, tossing two scoreless innings but immediately getting sent back to Class AAA Albuquerque because Beliasario was coming back from the DL.
Well, five days later, Link is back in the majors, taking the spot that opened when Vicente Padilla was placed on the DL. And gets to make his return in his hometown, with 100 family members and friends in attendance. Pretty cool.
Check back for updates throughout the game…
DODGERS AT NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: Ch. 50-HD, MASN2-HD
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Chance of storms, 68 degrees, Wind 4 mph out to CF
CF Nyjer Morgan
3B Adam Kennedy
2B Cristian Guzman
1B Adam Dunn
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy
- That time Stephen Strasburg was on Letterman
- After shaky 1st inning, Zimmermann cruises
- Nationals Stock Watch: Other hot bats besides Harper
- Hershey's pitches in to help Nationals continue sweet celebrations
- Harper, Williams strongly disagree with ejections from win vs. Yankees
- Harper and Williams ejected again, Nats rally again
- Harper, Williams ejected vs. Yankees on Wednesday night