Game 19: Dodgers at Nats

Apr 25, 2010, 4:48 PM EDT

Photo courtesy George Burkes
Justin Maxwell's diving catch in the ninth saved today's 1-0 win.

So, what's the domino effect of yesterday's 13-inning marathon? For the Nationals, not too bad. Jim Riggleman was able to get through that game with only four pitchers, thanks to Craig Stammen's six-inning start, and multiple-inning relief appearances from Matt Capps (2) and Miguel Batista (3).

For the Dodgers, though, yesterday took a greater toll. Joe Torre had to use seven pitchers, all of his relievers except for Ramon Ortiz. As reporters rattled off names of L.A. relievers this morning, Torre responded with their availability. George Sherrill? No. Hong-Chih Kuo? No. Ronald Belisario? Maybe. Jonathan Broxton? Maybe.

So the Dodgers actually recalled another arm for today's series finale, Jon Link. What's so special about Link? He's a local! Grew up and continues to reside in Chantilly, went to Chantilly High School. He just made his big-league debut Tuesday in Cincinnati, tossing two scoreless innings but immediately getting sent back to Class AAA Albuquerque because Beliasario was coming back from the DL.

Well, five days later, Link is back in the majors, taking the spot that opened when Vicente Padilla was placed on the DL. And gets to make his return in his hometown, with 100 family members and friends in attendance. Pretty cool.

Check back for updates throughout the game…

DODGERS AT NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: Ch. 50-HD, MASN2-HD
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Chance of storms, 68 degrees, Wind 4 mph out to CF

STARTING LINEUPS
CF Nyjer Morgan
3B Adam Kennedy
2B Cristian Guzman
1B Adam Dunn

Read more ยป

1. randomdude2228 - Apr 25, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Nats lineup is not too strong, I would make it like this:1. Morgan2. Guzman3. Willingham4. Dunn5. Pudge6. Kennedy7. Desmond8. Maxwell

2. K.D. - Apr 25, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Willie deserves a well-earned rest. Hopefully he can stay in the dugout today, and Olsen hits his spots.

3. B.R. - Apr 25, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Broxton. Jonathan Broxton. Sorry to bring this up; I'm an English major and that's what they teach me to do.

4. Mark Zuckerman - Apr 25, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Thanks, B.R. Like I've been saying all along, I do legitimately miss having an editor reading over all my stuff before it gets posted!

5. Sec3MySofa - Apr 25, 2010 at 5:36 PM

No problem, Mark. Plenty of volunteers here once it *is* up. ;-)

6. Sec3Myfabulouslivingroomfurniture - Apr 25, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Man, how can a guy as fast as Nyjer be 5 for 9 stealing? And get thrown out by ten feet by Russell (I almost wrote "J.C.") Martin?

7. Craig - Apr 25, 2010 at 7:41 PM

That would be Clippard coming on in the 8th, not the 7th.

8. K.D. - Apr 25, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Excellent, safe travels to all!

9. Anonymous - Apr 25, 2010 at 8:23 PM

sick win. anyone watching for who gets the elvis wig?

10. Anonymous - Apr 25, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Scott Olsen got the Elvis wig today.

11. B.R. - Apr 25, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Yep, as Sec3MySofa said, plenty of volunteer editors. :-D For me it's involuntary, like a back spasm, except it's a grammar spasm, and all of a sudden my brain reacts and then I'm staring at the computer screen thinking, "Wow, you actually wrote that, didn't you?"In all seriousness, Mark, I think that was easy to notice because generally you're just an incredible writer. The errors stick out because there are just about none of them. I'm glad you're thinking about leaving blogspot, because you're not just a blogger…

12. B.R. - Apr 25, 2010 at 9:11 PM

And by "you" in that first paragraph, I mean me, asking if I actually posted the comment above.

13. Cwj - Apr 25, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Hard to believe Riggs used Capps today after his 2 innings yesterday. Clippard to Capps = shutting the door. Fun game to watch today.

14. Doc - Apr 25, 2010 at 10:17 PM

It'll be interesting to see the closer format that Riggleman uses on days that Capps needs a break in the action. I'm thinking that it'll be a closer-by-L/R committee.