Apr 27, 2010, 3:42 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Quality starts aren't good enough for John Lannan, who insists he can do better.
CHICAGO — No one would have faulted John Lannan for emerging from last night's game feeling good about the way he kept things under control despite some rough spots along the way. The Nationals' left-hander did, after all, post a quality start at night's end, allowing three runs over six innings.
But Lannan wasn't taking solace in anything.
"I'm keeping the team in the game. But I should be pitching better than that," he said. "I should be getting the team a win. There's no excuses for just keeping the team in the ballgame. That's mediocre work. That's not acceptable to me. And I don't think it's acceptable to anybody else."
Give the Nats' Opening Day starter credit for understanding what he really needs to accomplish and not being satisfied with reaching the bare minimum stats for success. Lannan may have the guile to battle his way through some ragged outings and still make them useful, but his perfectionist nature demands a higher standard.
Lannan was most upset at himself for an ugly second inning at Wrigley Field in which he walked the Cubs' seventh, eighth and ninth hitters in succession, including opposing pitcher Carlos Silva on four pitches with the bases loaded.
"I'm sick of having those mediocre innings where things get away from me," he said. "I've never walked three in a row and walked theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"