Apr 28, 2010, 3:32 AM EDT
CHICAGO — The Nationals optioned rookie left-hander Jesse English to Class AAA Syracuse following tonight’s win, clearing roster space for outfielder Roger Bernadina, who will be recalled before tomorrow’s series finale at Wrigley Field.
English performed well in the first seven games of his big-league career, posting a 3.86 ERA and faring well against some tough left-handed sluggers like the Phillies’ Ryan Howard.
But the Nats needed to add another position player to account for nagging injuries to Ryan Zimmerman, Willie Harris and Ivan Rodriguez. And with off-days coming up Thursday and Monday, the club can afford to go with a six-man bullpen for a little while.
“This isn’t a demotion,” general manager Mike Rizzo said of English, who had never pitched above Class AA before making the Opening Day roster. “This is a strategic roster move, because we feel we need to get a healthy position player in here. It wasn’t for anything that he did poorly. He pitched fine.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice
- Nats hope to bounce back in Miami with Fister starting