Apr 28, 2010, 3:32 AM EDT
CHICAGO — The Nationals optioned rookie left-hander Jesse English to Class AAA Syracuse following tonight’s win, clearing roster space for outfielder Roger Bernadina, who will be recalled before tomorrow’s series finale at Wrigley Field.
English performed well in the first seven games of his big-league career, posting a 3.86 ERA and faring well against some tough left-handed sluggers like the Phillies’ Ryan Howard.
But the Nats needed to add another position player to account for nagging injuries to Ryan Zimmerman, Willie Harris and Ivan Rodriguez. And with off-days coming up Thursday and Monday, the club can afford to go with a six-man bullpen for a little while.
“This isn’t a demotion,” general manager Mike Rizzo said of English, who had never pitched above Class AA before making the Opening Day roster. “This is a strategic roster move, because we feel we need to get a healthy position player in here. It wasn’t for anything that he did poorly. He pitched fine.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats acquire IF Brandon Laird from Royals
- Zimmermann, Gio pitch in Nats split-squad games
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring