Apr 28, 2010, 11:40 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Adam Dunn is congratulated by Pat Listach after homering in the fourth.
CHICAGO — The Nationals had just pulled off a 3-2 victory over the Cubs, securing their first winning month since Sept. 2007, and securing this franchise's best April since it first arrived in town.
And yet the feeling inside the cramped visitors clubhouse at Wrigley Field wasn't one of exuberance or self-congratulation. No, as well as this team has played through the season's first 22 games, it sincerely feels like it can play far better.
"Oh absolutely," reliever Tyler Clippard said. "We've got a lot of weapons that we haven't even utilized yet. We've had some guys banged up over the course of the month. It just goes to show you, we've had a lot of guys step up. That's what a winning team is all about, having everybody contribute. Once we start firing on all cylinders, it's just going to get even better."
Bet you never imagined the day when the Nationals would be two games over .500 and not even content with that.
This club, though, has loftier goals than mere respectability. It takes the field every single day believing it should win. And when it doesn't win, it seethes.
"If we lose a ballgame, they're irritated," manager Jim Riggleman said. "They're not happy. They don't just say: 'OK, we'll get 'em tomorrow.' It's not like that. They don't just brush it off. They get irritated by it, and I like the fact they get irritated about losingRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'