Apr 28, 2010, 11:40 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Adam Dunn is congratulated by Pat Listach after homering in the fourth.
CHICAGO — The Nationals had just pulled off a 3-2 victory over the Cubs, securing their first winning month since Sept. 2007, and securing this franchise's best April since it first arrived in town.
And yet the feeling inside the cramped visitors clubhouse at Wrigley Field wasn't one of exuberance or self-congratulation. No, as well as this team has played through the season's first 22 games, it sincerely feels like it can play far better.
"Oh absolutely," reliever Tyler Clippard said. "We've got a lot of weapons that we haven't even utilized yet. We've had some guys banged up over the course of the month. It just goes to show you, we've had a lot of guys step up. That's what a winning team is all about, having everybody contribute. Once we start firing on all cylinders, it's just going to get even better."
Bet you never imagined the day when the Nationals would be two games over .500 and not even content with that.
This club, though, has loftier goals than mere respectability. It takes the field every single day believing it should win. And when it doesn't win, it seethes.
"If we lose a ballgame, they're irritated," manager Jim Riggleman said. "They're not happy. They don't just say: 'OK, we'll get 'em tomorrow.' It's not like that. They don't just brush it off. They get irritated by it, and I like the fact they get irritated about losingRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Will 2015 be a breakout year for Nats' RF Harper?
- Werth shooting for opener but will be cautious
- Escobar '100 percent committed' to new position
- Why Harper's confidence is a good sign for Nats
- A year older, Rendon ready for the long grind
- Nats' minor league affiliate gets new ownership
- Harper on Nats signing Scherzer: 'Where's my ring?'
- Report: Ichiro happy to be away from Yankees' manager Girardi
- Full roster has reported, but Werth still rehabbing
- Wilson Ramos talks Nats' stacked rotation, personal goals