Apr 29, 2010, 2:00 PM EST
Despite increased chatter about problems with Bryce Harper's character, the Nationals have no concerns about the top prospect's makeup.
A high-ranking club official said a recent report slamming the 17-year-old catcher for having attitude issues was "way overblown" and the Nats have no qualms about selecting him first overall in the June draft based on personality traits.
"Is he confident? Yeah," the team official said. "Is he cocky? Yeah. Does he think he's the best player on the field at all times? Yeah. But find me a great player who doesn't think that about himself."
The Nationals have not settled on Harper, a freshman at the College of Southern Nevada who has already appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated and been hyped as the "LeBron James of baseball," as their choice yet but are leaning toward selecting him with the top pick. In 47 games so far, Harper is batting .410 with 21 homers, 59 RBI and a 1.414 OPS.
The critical Baseball Prospectus report on Harper's character, published last week, said despite the catcher's overwhelming physical ability, it's difficult to find a talent evaluator who "doesn't genuinely dislike the kid." One scout was quoted in the report calling Harper "among the worst amateur players he's even seen from aRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg talks signing of Max Scherzer, rise of Nats as franchise
- Why the Nationals don't use the shift more
- Past failures fuel Barrett to bounce back
- Phillies lose to Division II baseball team in spring exhibition
- Live BP features Scherzer, broken bat, anthem
- Marlins ace Fernandez takes big step in Tommy John recovery
- Now a Dodger, Rollins says another NL East team was his 2nd choice
- Ex-Nats prospect could start for Braves in CF
- Harper wants to be a one team player
- Scherzer and Strasburg learning from each other