Apr 29, 2010, 5:57 PM EDT
The Nationals have promoted Drew Storen to Class AAA Syracuse, moving the 22-year-old reliever one step closer to the big leagues.
Storen, the 10th overall pick in last summer’s draft, dominated in seven appearances at Class AA Harrisburg over the last three weeks. He allowed one run and five hits in 9 1/3 innings, striking out 11, walking one and recording four saves.
That was merely a continuation of Storen’s dominant performance last season after signing one day following the draft. In 35 minor-league appearances now spanning three different levels of the organization, he owns a 1.75 ERA, 15 saves and a 60-to-9 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
Storen’s promotion would appear to put him slightly ahead of fellow first-round pick Stephen Strasburg in both pitchers’ ascension through the Nats’ system. Strasburg, the No. 1 pick in the country last summer, is scheduled to make his fifth start for Harrisburg on Sunday. He’s 3-0 with an 0.52 ERA so far for the Senators, striking out 23 while walking only two in 17 1/3 innings.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals try to start new winning streak today
- The Baseball Show: LaRoche and Cabrera are August standouts
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill