Apr 29, 2010, 5:57 PM EST
The Nationals have promoted Drew Storen to Class AAA Syracuse, moving the 22-year-old reliever one step closer to the big leagues.
Storen, the 10th overall pick in last summer’s draft, dominated in seven appearances at Class AA Harrisburg over the last three weeks. He allowed one run and five hits in 9 1/3 innings, striking out 11, walking one and recording four saves.
That was merely a continuation of Storen’s dominant performance last season after signing one day following the draft. In 35 minor-league appearances now spanning three different levels of the organization, he owns a 1.75 ERA, 15 saves and a 60-to-9 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
Storen’s promotion would appear to put him slightly ahead of fellow first-round pick Stephen Strasburg in both pitchers’ ascension through the Nats’ system. Strasburg, the No. 1 pick in the country last summer, is scheduled to make his fifth start for Harrisburg on Sunday. He’s 3-0 with an 0.52 ERA so far for the Senators, striking out 23 while walking only two in 17 1/3 innings.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Will 2015 be a breakout year for Nats' RF Harper?
- Werth shooting for opener but will be cautious
- Escobar '100 percent committed' to new position
- Why Harper's confidence is a good sign for Nats
- A year older, Rendon ready for the long grind
- Nats' minor league affiliate gets new ownership
- Harper on Nats signing Scherzer: 'Where's my ring?'
- Report: Ichiro happy to be away from Yankees' manager Girardi
- Full roster has reported, but Werth still rehabbing
- Wilson Ramos talks Nats' stacked rotation, personal goals