Apr 29, 2010, 5:57 PM EDT
The Nationals have promoted Drew Storen to Class AAA Syracuse, moving the 22-year-old reliever one step closer to the big leagues.
Storen, the 10th overall pick in last summer’s draft, dominated in seven appearances at Class AA Harrisburg over the last three weeks. He allowed one run and five hits in 9 1/3 innings, striking out 11, walking one and recording four saves.
That was merely a continuation of Storen’s dominant performance last season after signing one day following the draft. In 35 minor-league appearances now spanning three different levels of the organization, he owns a 1.75 ERA, 15 saves and a 60-to-9 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
Storen’s promotion would appear to put him slightly ahead of fellow first-round pick Stephen Strasburg in both pitchers’ ascension through the Nats’ system. Strasburg, the No. 1 pick in the country last summer, is scheduled to make his fifth start for Harrisburg on Sunday. He’s 3-0 with an 0.52 ERA so far for the Senators, striking out 23 while walking only two in 17 1/3 innings.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats