May 4, 2010, 8:36 PM EST
[UPDATED AT 6:33 P.M.]
John Lannan will not make his next scheduled start after receiving a cortisone shot in his left elbow.
Lannan said he first began experiencing discomfort in the elbow during his April 21 start against the Rockies, particularly when trying to throw his two-seam fastball and his change-up. He underwent an MRI after that, a test that came back "clean," according to GM Mike Rizzo.
Lannan said he felt a bit better during his next start in Chicago, but the discomfort became worse Sunday in Florida.
"The last start, I knew something was wrong," he said. "I didn't have my normal stuff, I didn't have the life that I usually have to get groundballs. I said something, so now we're taking the next step."
Doctors have diagnosed Lannan with swelling around the flexor tendon. No surgery is required at this point; the club hopes the combination of the cortisone shot and rest will allow the left-hander to return strong.
"There's not going to be any DL," Rizzo said. "But we're going to skip one start. He should be able to make his next start."
Rizzo said a decision hasn't been made yet who will start in Lannan's place Saturday against the Marlins. If he's not needed in long relief this week, veteran Miguel Batista could get the nod. If Batista isn'tRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?