May 4, 2010, 8:36 PM EDT
[UPDATED AT 6:33 P.M.]
John Lannan will not make his next scheduled start after receiving a cortisone shot in his left elbow.
Lannan said he first began experiencing discomfort in the elbow during his April 21 start against the Rockies, particularly when trying to throw his two-seam fastball and his change-up. He underwent an MRI after that, a test that came back "clean," according to GM Mike Rizzo.
Lannan said he felt a bit better during his next start in Chicago, but the discomfort became worse Sunday in Florida.
"The last start, I knew something was wrong," he said. "I didn't have my normal stuff, I didn't have the life that I usually have to get groundballs. I said something, so now we're taking the next step."
Doctors have diagnosed Lannan with swelling around the flexor tendon. No surgery is required at this point; the club hopes the combination of the cortisone shot and rest will allow the left-hander to return strong.
"There's not going to be any DL," Rizzo said. "But we're going to skip one start. He should be able to make his next start."
Rizzo said a decision hasn't been made yet who will start in Lannan's place Saturday against the Marlins. If he's not needed in long relief this week, veteran Miguel Batista could get the nod. If Batista isn'tRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper scratched from tonight's game
- Nats put Strasburg on the disabled list
- Nats need quality start from Gonzalez in Cincy
- Cingrani has little remorse for hitting Harper
- Strasburg departs in 2nd inning with new ailment
- Strasburg leaves after 16 pitches, Reds beat Nationals 5-2
- Rendon resumes rehab, plays 7 innings at AA
- Strasburg back on mound for key start in Cincy
- How will Nats compensate for Werth's absence?
- Mark Zuckerman on Jayson Werth's unfortunate injury news