May 4, 2010, 2:16 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Is Ivan Rodriguez going to maintain a .431 on-base percentage all season? Doubtful.
Every season, we hear the same refrain throughout April and May, from players and managers on both good and bad clubs.
"It's still early."
The baseball season truly is a marathon, and while everyone loves to either jump on or off the bandwagon after only one month, there's plenty of evidence that suggests you'd be wise not to draw any real conclusions yet.
Is Ivan Rodriguez going to hit .400 for the season? Is Livan Hernandez going to go 18-6 with an 0.87 ERA? Is Josh Willingham going to lead the Nationals with 78 RBI? Is Matt Capps going to go 60-for-60 in save situations?
Of course not. The sample size after 25 games remains too small to extrapolate those kinds of things out.
Likewise, it's not fair to predict the Nationals will finish 84-78 right now, even though their current .520 winning percentage suggests they will. Far too much can happen between now and October — both good and bad — to dramatically alter this team's course.
As much fun as it is to get excited about ballclubs after one month, history shows us April records don't mean much over the long haul. For example, take a look at the MLB standings on this date one yearRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS