May 5, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
With others hurt, the Nats need Craig Stammen to step up.
The No. 1 starter is now on the shelf, sidelined for at least one outing with a swollen elbow. The No. 2 starter has been on the shelf for the last two weeks, sitting on the DL with bone chips in his elbow. Another member of the Opening Day rotation has been on the DL since early April with a neck injury (though, even if healthy, he would have been sent to the minors because of ineffectiveness).
Which leaves the Nationals currently counting on Livan Hernandez, Scott Olsen, Craig Stammen and Luis Atilano to carry their pitching staff.
And yet, they're somehow pulling it off.
The Nats are two games over .500 this morning thanks to the brilliant relief work of Tyler Clippard and Matt Capps, some rock-solid defense across the diamond and a productive lineup that has gotten contributions from every member of the roster. And they're two games over .500 in spite of the fact they've had to cobble together a starting rotation with chewing gum and chicken wire.
Think about this. If someone told you at the season's outset both John Lannan and Jason Marquis would be injured, and Chien-Ming Wang and Ross Detwiler were still months away from joining the staff, you'd have assumed the doomsday scenario. Worst record in the majorsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal