May 5, 2010, 3:50 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
No scoreboard? No problem for the Nats, who won again tonight.
How many things went wrong for the Nationals today? Let us count the ways…
1. Livan Hernandez needed 41 pitches to get out of the first inning.
2. Ian Desmond committed his first error in 19 games and Roger Bernadina dropped as routine a line drive as you'll ever see.
3. Miguel Batista couldn't preserve a four-run lead in the ninth and forced closer Matt Capps into the game.
4. John Lannan, it was revealed, has a swollen left elbow and will miss at least one start.
5. The scoreboard at Nationals Park was dark for the better part of four innings.
So how come everyone still went home happy at the end of the night? Perhaps because the Nationals ignored all those calamities and simply found a way to win what was anything but a pretty ballgame but still goes in the books as a curly W.
In some ways, this 6-3 victory over the Braves says more about this club than those crisp, one-run wins they strung together the last two weeks. It's one thing to win when everything goes precisely to plan.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch