May 6, 2010, 10:26 PM EDT
Since I was kind of critical of Adam Dunn in that earlier posting about his ninth-inning strikeout last night (in which he watched five straight pitches from Kris Medlen pass him by without ever swinging) it was only fair that I gave Dunn a chance to explain his thinking in that at-bat.
What follows is the transcript of my conversation with Dunn after batting practice this afternoon. As you'll see, he's still killing himself over that strikeout, but he also believes he's got the right approach to hitting and shouldn't change it.
Here you go…
Mark Zuckerman: "In a situation like last night, the ninth inning, do you approach that any different than you would any other at-bat during the game?"
Adam Dunn: "Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Last night was a product of my patience killing me. First of all, if [Brian] McCann's not back there calling pitches — because he's one of my buddies — then I get what I'm looking for. The guy's best pitch is his change-up. So I was sitting on change-up the entire at-bat. And of course, I didn't get one. But I've still got to be able to swing. That's just a bad at-bat. Just a bad at-bat."
MZ: "How tough is it to condition yourself to think like that? Or was that just an isolated case last night?"
AD: I mean, when a guy's best pitch is his change-up, and I'm a lefty … that's why I think it was great calling by McCann. If it's not him … because he knows me so well, he knows I'm sitting change-up, so he's not going to throw me one, he's going to throw me nothing butRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Now in 2nd place, Nats not scoreboard watching yet
- Struggling Nats out of 1st place in NL East
- Nats lose to Arizona, fall out of first place
- Strasburg strong in 2nd rehab start, next stop D.C.?
- Papelbon offers advice on pennant race pressure
- Updated: Good news for Carpenter, Span close to live BP
- Nats return home hoping to get back on track vs. D'Backs
- After sweep, Vegas sees Nats and Mets trending in different directions
- Postponement gives Nats new home finale
- The Baseball Show: Is NL East up for grabs?