May 6, 2010, 10:26 PM EDT
Since I was kind of critical of Adam Dunn in that earlier posting about his ninth-inning strikeout last night (in which he watched five straight pitches from Kris Medlen pass him by without ever swinging) it was only fair that I gave Dunn a chance to explain his thinking in that at-bat.
What follows is the transcript of my conversation with Dunn after batting practice this afternoon. As you'll see, he's still killing himself over that strikeout, but he also believes he's got the right approach to hitting and shouldn't change it.
Here you go…
Mark Zuckerman: "In a situation like last night, the ninth inning, do you approach that any different than you would any other at-bat during the game?"
Adam Dunn: "Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Last night was a product of my patience killing me. First of all, if [Brian] McCann's not back there calling pitches — because he's one of my buddies — then I get what I'm looking for. The guy's best pitch is his change-up. So I was sitting on change-up the entire at-bat. And of course, I didn't get one. But I've still got to be able to swing. That's just a bad at-bat. Just a bad at-bat."
MZ: "How tough is it to condition yourself to think like that? Or was that just an isolated case last night?"
AD: I mean, when a guy's best pitch is his change-up, and I'm a lefty … that's why I think it was great calling by McCann. If it's not him … because he knows me so well, he knows I'm sitting change-up, so he's not going to throw me one, he's going to throw me nothing butRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates
- Rizzo on firing Williams as manager: 'A tough day'
- Nats leaning toward manager with experience