May 7, 2010, 3:39 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Scott Olsen’s brilliant performance tonight was the latest in a string of them.
It’s amazing to think back now to late-March, when Scott Olsen looked like a prime candidate to be released. To that point, the left-hander had given no indication he was going to make a full recovery from last summer’s shoulder surgery, and the Nationals considered dropping altogether and saving $750,000 in the process.
Instead, Olsen was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse to open the season, and one week later he joined the big-league rotation. Over the last two weeks, he’s been nothing short of remarkable, stringing together 20 consecutive scoreless innings before tonight’s near no-hitter was broken up in the eighth.
Here’s the full story on Olsen on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health