May 8, 2010, 8:31 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Matt Chico allowed two runs over five innings but still was demoted.
Despite his strong start this afternoon, Matt Chico is headed back to the minors.
The Nationals informed the left-hander he'll be optioned back to Class AA Harrisburg following today's 5-4 victory over the Marlins. Chico, who was formally called up this morning to take John Lannan's spot in the rotation, allowed just two runs on six hits in five innings in his spot start.
He wasn't surprised to learn of his fate after the game and said he arrived at Nationals Park today figuring he'd only get this one outing.
"I figured there was a 95 percent chance that was it," he said. "I tried not to think about it. I know I'll be pitching again in five days somewhere."
The Nationals haven't announced a corresponding roster move, but they're likely to add another reliever, perhaps left-hander Jesse English.
Chico still could, in theory, return to start Thursday against the Rockies. If Lannan feels any discomfort during his bullpen side session Monday, manager Jim Riggleman said the club will shut him down. If Lannan goes on the DL, the organization is allowed to recallRead more »
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs