May 8, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
It's a beautiful, but windy, day as the Nationals host the Marlins.
If not for the fierce wind blowing from left to right field (gusts could approach 40 mph today) this would be a perfect afternoon for baseball.
How that wind affects this game remains to be seen. Because it's a crosswind, it could make life difficult for Matt Chico and Josh Johnson to locate their pitches. Chico will be amped up, making his first big-league start since May 22, 2008. Since then, he's endured Tommy John surgery, the long recovery from that procedure and then another half-season working his way back at Class AA Harrisburg.
Chico wasn't happy that the opened the season at Harrisburg. Obviously he would have preferred to be in Washington, but he felt he should at least have been at Class AAA Syracuse. We'll see if he can channel that aggression into a strong start against a good Marlins lineup.
Nyjer Morgan gets the day off. With the Nationals in the middle of a stretch of 20 straight days with games, Jim Riggleman wants to make sure everyone gets at least one game off, so Morgan is the guy today. Roger Bernadina starts in center field, with Willie Harris in right.
As always, check back here for updates throughout the game…
MARLINS AT NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 74 degrees, Wind 22 mph LF to RF
SS Cristian Guzman
2B Adam Kennedy
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister still working out mechanical glitches
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup