May 8, 2010, 3:57 PM EDT
Today should have been John Lannan's day to pitch. It was his turn in the rotation. Of course, Lannan is not starting today against the Marlins because of a swollen left elbow. Matt Chico gets the nod instead.
Lannan, though, is doing his best to act today like he is pitching. He did all his usual pregame work. He played catch from 100 feet for about 10 minutes. And then he stopped and now will have to spend the rest of the day watching from the dugout.
"This is the best I've felt," he joked. "I didn't walk anybody. I didn't give up any hits."
This was the first time Lannan had thrown since his ragged start last Sunday in Florida. In the six days since, he just did a lot of running, doing more long-distance running than he normally would in midseason.
Lannan remains on schedule to start Thursday in Colorado, and he'll go back into his regular routine the next few days leading up to that. He'll play catch again tomorrow, just like he would the day after starting. He'll throw a bullpen side session Monday, just like he would two days after starting.
"Today during the game might be a little weird, but I know I needed this rest," he said. "I'm glad that they gave it to me, and I'm glad I said something. I could have kept pitching and it could have gotten worse. This rest was something I needed. I'm glad everything'sRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants