May 8, 2010, 2:44 AM EDT
Needing to clear space on the roster for Matt Chico, who will start tomorrow’s game against the Marlins, the Nationals optioned outfielder Justin Maxwell to Class AAA Syracuse.
Maxwell, who has spent the better part of the last two seasons bouncing back and forth between Syracuse and Washington, hit just .154 (4-for-26) with one homer and three RBI in 17 games. He did draw 11 walks, leading to a healthy .395 on-base percentage.
The Nationals, though, had been using Maxwell almost exclusively against left-handed pitchers, and they’re currently in a stretch in which they’ll face at least 12 right-handed starters in a row. Thus, Maxwell became expendable.
“It’s frustrating,” he said. “Just imagine you have a job and you keep getting shipped around. That’s the only thing I compare it to. But I’m doing what I love. I know they like me, and I know what I’ve got to do. I’ve got to go play. I wasn’t getting the at-bats right now, so I’m going to go get the at-bats somewhere else.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper still doesn't think he's MLB's best
- Nats go for 2 in a row at Wrigley
- Marlins players fail to show up at charity event
- Cubs manager Joe Maddon doesn't get criticism of Bryce Harper
- The Baseball Show: Time to sign Harper to an extension?
- Mets Matt Harvey may be dealing with 'dead arm'
- As Nationals soar, so does dominant Storen
- Roark, Ramos lead Nationals past Cubs 2-1
- Nats pregame music choice irks Phillies, they promise payback
- Roark gets the start for Nats at Wrigley