May 8, 2010, 2:44 AM EDT
Needing to clear space on the roster for Matt Chico, who will start tomorrow’s game against the Marlins, the Nationals optioned outfielder Justin Maxwell to Class AAA Syracuse.
Maxwell, who has spent the better part of the last two seasons bouncing back and forth between Syracuse and Washington, hit just .154 (4-for-26) with one homer and three RBI in 17 games. He did draw 11 walks, leading to a healthy .395 on-base percentage.
The Nationals, though, had been using Maxwell almost exclusively against left-handed pitchers, and they’re currently in a stretch in which they’ll face at least 12 right-handed starters in a row. Thus, Maxwell became expendable.
“It’s frustrating,” he said. “Just imagine you have a job and you keep getting shipped around. That’s the only thing I compare it to. But I’m doing what I love. I know they like me, and I know what I’ve got to do. I’ve got to go play. I wasn’t getting the at-bats right now, so I’m going to go get the at-bats somewhere else.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology
- Dr. Jobe's impact on baseball was immeasurable