May 9, 2010, 2:30 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats will look to take this weekend series from the Marlins.
Happy Mother's Day, everyone. Hope all the moms out there have a wonderful day, whether at Nationals Park or elsewhere with family members.
I'll actually be spending this day with my wife and her family, so I'm skipping today's series finale against the Marlins. Figured it was probably a wise move, since I'm leaving town tomorrow morning for the week, making the first two legs of the Nats' road trip (New York and Colorado, skipping St. Louis).
The morning news from the ballpark, though, is that reliever Doug Slaten is having his contract purchased from Syracuse. The 30-year-old lefty dominated at Class AAA, not allowing a single run to score in 17 innings of work, while striking out 17 and only walking one. Pretty impressive.
Slaten's addition, though, requires the Nationals to remove someone from the 40-man roster. That someone is actually Matt Chico, who surprisingly has been designated for assignment. But before you get worried, I'm told this move is only procedural and that Chico will remain in the organization and actually be placed back on the 40-man roster within days. Not sure of the details how this works — I've never heard of something done quite this way — but I am assured it's all on the up-and-up.
So with that, I hope you enjoy the game. Feel free to converse with each other in the comments section, and I'll talk to you tomorrow from New York.
(Oh, and to the wonderful Lois Zuckerman of Scottsdale, Ariz.: Happy Mother's Day!)
MARLINS AT NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: Ch. 50-HD, MASN-HD
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 62 degrees, Wind 20 mph LF to RF
CF Nyjer Morgan
2B Adam Kennedy
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals