May 12, 2010, 3:51 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ivan Rodriguez's words couldn't help Tyler Clippard or Ian Desmond tonight.
NEW YORK — This was the kind of loss that hadn't been seen around these parts in quite some time. Actually, it had been more than a year since the Nationals last lost a game they once led by five runs.
So this 8-6 setback to the Mets, featuring an eighth-inning meltdown of epic proportions, stings. It's the kind of loss last year's team grew to expect, and the kind of loss this year's team never believes is possible.
But it happened. The boxscore spells it out in all its gory details. The three runs allowed by Brian Bruney, followed by the three more runs allowed by Tyler Clippard. Throw in an Ian Desmond error and a bases-loaded walk by Miguel Batista, and you've got the worst loss of this young season.
You've also got the first opportunity this year to find out what these Nationals are made of. Will they allow a crushing loss like this to linger, or will they brush it off and return tomorrow afternoon with renewed purpose?
To a man, every player inside the visitors clubhouse at Citi Field tonight insisted they'll come back strong tomorrow.
"We will. That's what this club is all about. We fight," Clippard said. "Yeah, it hurts right now. But we'll sleep it off, and tomorrow we'll be ready to go. It's a 162-game season. This is going to happen."
Sure, it's going to happen to every team a couple of times every season. But these are the kind of losses that left the 2009 Nationals shell-shocked and often led to lengthy losing streaks. One crushingRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen