May 12, 2010, 12:30 AM EDT
NEW YORK — Jason Marquis' return to the mound tonight turned into a bit of a ragged affair.
Making his first rehab start for Class A Potomac, Marquis allowed three runs and six hits over 3 2/3 innings against Winston-Salem. All three of the runs, though, came during the second inning at Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge.
On the 15-day disabled list with bone chips in his right elbow, Marquis hadn't pitched since a disastrous outing April 18 in Washington in which he failed to retire any of the seven Brewers batters he faced. His ERA a staggering 20.52, Marquis was shut down after an enhanced MRI revealed the loose bodies in his elbow.
He received a cortisone shot and began playing catch later that week, reporting no problems. Marquis even tried to convince team officials to activate him off the DL Saturday when the Nationals needed a fill-in starter for John Lannan.
The club wanted the veteran right-hander to take things slower and make at least a couple of rehab starts. Before tonight's game at Citi Field, manager Jim Riggleman expressed hope that Marquis couldRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)