May 12, 2010, 12:30 AM EDT
NEW YORK — Jason Marquis' return to the mound tonight turned into a bit of a ragged affair.
Making his first rehab start for Class A Potomac, Marquis allowed three runs and six hits over 3 2/3 innings against Winston-Salem. All three of the runs, though, came during the second inning at Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge.
On the 15-day disabled list with bone chips in his right elbow, Marquis hadn't pitched since a disastrous outing April 18 in Washington in which he failed to retire any of the seven Brewers batters he faced. His ERA a staggering 20.52, Marquis was shut down after an enhanced MRI revealed the loose bodies in his elbow.
He received a cortisone shot and began playing catch later that week, reporting no problems. Marquis even tried to convince team officials to activate him off the DL Saturday when the Nationals needed a fill-in starter for John Lannan.
The club wanted the veteran right-hander to take things slower and make at least a couple of rehab starts. Before tonight's game at Citi Field, manager Jim Riggleman expressed hope that Marquis couldRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?