May 12, 2010, 3:32 PM EDT
NEW YORK — Jason Marquis says he will likely need surgery to remove bone chips in his right elbow after a ragged rehab start last night for Class A Potomac.
Marquis, who came to Citi Field today to meet with team doctors and officials, said his elbow “locked up” this morning. Asked whether he thought he would need surgery, he replied: “It’s definitely a strong possibility.”
The Nationals won’t make a final decision immediately. If Marquis does have the arthroscopic procedure to remove the loose bodies, he would likely miss eight to 10 weeks.
UPDATE AT 12:45 P.M. — Here’s the full story on Marquis on CSNwashington.com.
UPDATE AT 5:40 P.M. — It’s official now: Marquis will have arthroscopic surgery Friday in Cincinnati.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Duda, Cespedes too much for Nationals
- Cespedes debuts for Mets, as Nats aim to even series
- Nats are in a real pennant race now
- Mets beat Nats 2-1 in epic game capped by Flores walk-off
- Nats' reliever to get second opinion on ailing shoulder
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats