May 12, 2010, 6:15 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Scott Olsen wasn't happy coming out of last night's game.
NEW YORK — I know there's been a lot of talk out there about Jim Riggleman's decision to pull Scott Olsen after only 82 pitches last night, with the Nationals leading at the time, 6-1 in the sixth inning.
Olsen clearly was upset about it as he handed Riggleman the ball, and he was still seething in the dugout. It didn't help matters when Brian Bruney and Tyler Clippard blew that lead and allowed six runs in the eighth to deny Olsen the victory, and the left-hander bolted the clubhouse quickly after the game without speaking to reporters.
We had a chance to speak to both Riggleman and Olsen this morning about the whole thing, and the two of them had a brief, closed-door meeting as well (after we spoke to Riggleman but before we spoke to Olsen). The key point to take out of this is that all's fine between the two and there are no hard feelings.
Here's the transcipt from both the manager and the pitcher…
Q: Scott, when he was taken out last night, was pretty frustrated. Have you talked to him at all today?
A: No. When a starter comes out of the game, if they don't think they should come out of the game, I like that. I want them to feel like: 'I want to pitch.' It's his day. He wants to pitch. But there's a lot of thought that goes into why I made that decision. I respect that he wants to continue to pitch, but the decision was thought out. TheRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park