May 14, 2010, 11:45 PM EDT
DENVER — Just because there's no game tonight doesn't mean there isn't news to report from the Nationals clubhouse, so let's get right to it…
– Jason Marquis had successful surgery today in Cincinnati to remove bone chips from his right elbow. The team is now saying it will be eight weeks before he's ready to pitch in a major-league game again. General manager Mike Rizzo remains confident Marquis will come back and pitch the way the club expected when it signed him to a two-year, $15 million contract, insisting the right-hander's struggles in his three April starts were strictly a product of the injury. "I'm a big track record guy," Rizzo said. "I always believed he was going to revert back to what he's always been. And this has kind of verified it." Based on the eight-week timeframe, Marquis would be due to rejoin the Nationals' rotation in mid-July. "It's like making a trade," Rizzo said. "You get an All-Star at the trade deadline, a guy who pitched in the All-Star Game last year. You get him two months from now, and I think it will be a big boost for the club."
– John Lannan said his elbow emerged from last night's start feeling "fine." He played catch, just as he would the day after any start. He'll throw a bullpen session tomorrow and is scheduled to start Tuesday in St. Louis. Lannan believes the only reason his elbow/forearm tightened up in the fifth inning last night was due to the combination of the cold weather and the Nats' long top of the fifth while scoring four runs. "It just feels better today than it did last night, which is good," he said. "It sucks that it had to happen. But hopefully with the warmer weather, it won't happen again." Lannan is confident this won't be a lingering issue, that once he pitches inRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey