May 16, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The sun is shining at Coors Field … at last.
DENVER — What a gorgeous day for baseball at Coors Field. Finally. The rain has cleared. The clouds are gone and there is abundant sunshine for today's series finale between the Nationals and Rockies.
This could be as close to a must-win game as the Nats have faced in some time. Not that a loss would be devastating; they'd still head to St. Louis with a 20-18 record. But that would constitute the first three-game losing streak of the season, heading into a tough series against one of MLB's best clubs.
A win today, however, would salvage a four-game split with the Rockies and put the Nationals at 21-17 heading to St. Louis, where even a two-game sweep at the hands of the Cardinals wouldn't be crushing.
Couple of interesting notes about Jim Riggleman's lineup today: 1) Adam Dunn has his first day off of the year, probably because of a bad matchup against Rockies left-hander Jeff Francis. 2) Mike Morse is in, but not in right field; he'll start in Dunn's place at first base. 3) Cristian Guzman is your starting right fielder for only the second time in his career. Riggleman hinted a few days ago he'd consider doing that, particularly against a left-hander. Guzie is hitting a stout .419 against lefties this season; he HAS to be in the lineup somewhere.
Check back for updates throughout…
NATIONALS AT ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 3:10 p.m.
TV: Ch. 50-HD, MASN2-HD
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Sunny, 62 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from RF
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Ian Desmond
RF Cristian Guzman
3B Ryan Zimmerman
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall
- Updated: Escobar leaves Nats-Padres game with injury
- Span sits to rest sore back; other Nats injury notes
- Nats aim for 3rd straight series win against Padres
- Around the NL East: Will the Mets ever lose again?
- Double play on 3-0 pitch kills Nationals' rally