May 16, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
DENVER — Livan Hernandez will come back on short rest to start Wednesday night against the Mets.
Hernandez, who threw six innings yesterday in the opener of the doubleheader against the Rockies, went to Jim Riggleman and offered to return on three days' rest. The manager was already thinking about asking the veteran right-hander if he'd be willing to do it.
"He's a smart guy," Riggleman said. "He said, 'Hey, you're probably going to need a pitcher Wednesday. Let me pitch that day.' We picked him and he volunteered for it at the same time."
Hernandez, who has thrown more pitches over the last decade than anyone else in baseball, shrugged it off, saying his 100-pitch outing yesterday barely caused a strain on his arm.
"Yeah, I'll do it," he said. "A hundred's nothing. I threw 85 in the bullpen [warming up before the game]."
Meanwhile, Adam Dunn is out of the lineup today because he's suffering from flu-like symptoms. Riggleman said the slugger showed up to the ballpark feeling nauseous, so he's being held out. The manager would have started him at first base otherwise, even againstRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain