May 16, 2010, 7:54 PM EST
DENVER — Drew Storen is about to join the Nationals' roster.
Storen has dominated at four different levels of the minor leagues since the Nationals made him the 10th overall pick in last summer's draft and has posted a 1.23 ERA in six appearances at Syracuse over the last two weeks. In 40 total minor-league games over the last 12 months, he's 2-1 with a 1.70 ERA, 15 saves and a 64-to-11 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
The 22-year-old right-hander should provide an immediate boost to a Nationals bullpen that has gotten yeoman's work since Opening Day from closer Matt Capps (0.93 ERA, 14-for-14 in save opportunities) and setup man Tyler Clippard (7-1, 1.80 ERA) but has struggled to identify another quality arm for setup duties.
Storen's promotion will come about two weeks before fellow first-round pick Stephen Strasburg's expected big-league debut, in part because club officials wanted to reward the reliever for signingRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot