May 16, 2010, 7:54 PM EDT
DENVER — Drew Storen is about to join the Nationals' roster.
Storen has dominated at four different levels of the minor leagues since the Nationals made him the 10th overall pick in last summer's draft and has posted a 1.23 ERA in six appearances at Syracuse over the last two weeks. In 40 total minor-league games over the last 12 months, he's 2-1 with a 1.70 ERA, 15 saves and a 64-to-11 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
The 22-year-old right-hander should provide an immediate boost to a Nationals bullpen that has gotten yeoman's work since Opening Day from closer Matt Capps (0.93 ERA, 14-for-14 in save opportunities) and setup man Tyler Clippard (7-1, 1.80 ERA) but has struggled to identify another quality arm for setup duties.
Storen's promotion will come about two weeks before fellow first-round pick Stephen Strasburg's expected big-league debut, in part because club officials wanted to reward the reliever for signingRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats get big hit for big win
- Nationals grind their way to walk-off victory
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.