May 16, 2010, 7:54 PM EDT
DENVER — Drew Storen is about to join the Nationals' roster.
Storen has dominated at four different levels of the minor leagues since the Nationals made him the 10th overall pick in last summer's draft and has posted a 1.23 ERA in six appearances at Syracuse over the last two weeks. In 40 total minor-league games over the last 12 months, he's 2-1 with a 1.70 ERA, 15 saves and a 64-to-11 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
The 22-year-old right-hander should provide an immediate boost to a Nationals bullpen that has gotten yeoman's work since Opening Day from closer Matt Capps (0.93 ERA, 14-for-14 in save opportunities) and setup man Tyler Clippard (7-1, 1.80 ERA) but has struggled to identify another quality arm for setup duties.
Storen's promotion will come about two weeks before fellow first-round pick Stephen Strasburg's expected big-league debut, in part because club officials wanted to reward the reliever for signingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss