May 16, 2010, 3:17 AM EDT
DENVER — The Nationals designated outfielder Willy Taveras for assignment following tonight’s 4-3 loss to the Rockies and announced outfielder Mike Morse will be activated off the 15-day disabled list tomorrow.
Taveras’ time had been numbered for a while. He hit .200 (7-for-35) with four RBI in 27 games, coming almost exclusively off the bench. With Morse’s return from a calf strain anticipated, Taveras seemed the likely candidate to be removed from the roster.
Morse has been on the DL since the season’s first week with the calf strain. He hit .265 with three homers and eight RBI in 14 games on a rehab assignment with Class AAA Syracuse. Morse is expected to be available for tomorrow’s series finale at Coors Field.
No other moves tonight. Brian Bruney remains on the roster, but the right-hander certainly appears to be on thin ice at this point.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals