May 16, 2010, 3:17 AM EDT
DENVER — The Nationals designated outfielder Willy Taveras for assignment following tonight’s 4-3 loss to the Rockies and announced outfielder Mike Morse will be activated off the 15-day disabled list tomorrow.
Taveras’ time had been numbered for a while. He hit .200 (7-for-35) with four RBI in 27 games, coming almost exclusively off the bench. With Morse’s return from a calf strain anticipated, Taveras seemed the likely candidate to be removed from the roster.
Morse has been on the DL since the season’s first week with the calf strain. He hit .265 with three homers and eight RBI in 14 games on a rehab assignment with Class AAA Syracuse. Morse is expected to be available for tomorrow’s series finale at Coors Field.
No other moves tonight. Brian Bruney remains on the roster, but the right-hander certainly appears to be on thin ice at this point.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice