May 16, 2010, 3:17 AM EST
DENVER — The Nationals designated outfielder Willy Taveras for assignment following tonight’s 4-3 loss to the Rockies and announced outfielder Mike Morse will be activated off the 15-day disabled list tomorrow.
Taveras’ time had been numbered for a while. He hit .200 (7-for-35) with four RBI in 27 games, coming almost exclusively off the bench. With Morse’s return from a calf strain anticipated, Taveras seemed the likely candidate to be removed from the roster.
Morse has been on the DL since the season’s first week with the calf strain. He hit .265 with three homers and eight RBI in 14 games on a rehab assignment with Class AAA Syracuse. Morse is expected to be available for tomorrow’s series finale at Coors Field.
No other moves tonight. Brian Bruney remains on the roster, but the right-hander certainly appears to be on thin ice at this point.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts