May 16, 2010, 4:35 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ryan Zimmerman went 5-for-8 today and even singled on this dribbler in the nightcap.
DENVER — They played two ballgames over the course of nine hours, got some strong pitching performances, got some clutch hits including a towering home run against early Cy Young Award favorite Ubaldo Jimenez and played mostly solid defense.
And at the end of a long day of baseball at Coors Field, the Nationals had nothing to show for it but a couple of losses.
"That's the hardest part," Sean Burnett said. "You play two ballgames and you go up against one of the best pitchers in baseball and you battle … it's tough to lose both. It would have been nice to get at least one out of there. It's a tough way to lose the second one."
It's easy to chalk up the matinee 6-2 loss to Jimenez's continued brilliance on the mound. The flamethrowing right-hander is now 7-1 with a 1.12 ERA, having twice beaten Livan Hernandez.
The 4-3 loss in the nightcap, however, is a little tougher to swallow. The Nationals turned Jason Hammel (0-2 with a 9.16 ERA entering) into a quality big-league starter, scoring only three runs over seven innings, failing to draw a walk and striking out seven times. They wasted a decent start from Luis Atilano (three runs in five innings, all scoring on back-to-back homers in the third) and some strong reliefRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Good news for Nats' Carpenter, Span close to live BP
- Nats return home hoping to get back on track vs. D'Backs
- After sweep, Vegas sees Nats and Mets trending in different directions
- Postponement gives Nats new home finale
- The Baseball Show: Is NL East up for grabs?
- State of the Nats: All tied up in the NL East
- Former National slams door as New York sweeps Washington
- Nats look to avoid sweep against Mets in New York
- Ross continues to impress, but Mets showing their worth
- Duda, Cespedes too much for Nationals