May 17, 2010, 12:00 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats hope to score more runs in St. Louis than they did in Colorado.
DENVER — When I packed my bags a week ago and embarked on this latest road trip for the Nationals, I was expecting to cover only the first two legs (New York, Colorado) and then head home while the team finished up in St. Louis.
But then the Nats went and purchased Drew Storen's contract, and the rookie reliever will be in uniform and available to pitch in a big-league game for the first time tonight. And clearly I couldn't skip out on that.
So, thanks to some help from the good folks at CSNwashington.com, I'm calling an audible at the line of scrimmage. Instead of flying from Denver to Dulles this morning, I'm flying from Denver to St. Louis, where hopefully a good Storen story or two awaits.
I'll be interested to see how the 22-year-old handles all the attention. He's typically very outgoing and media-friendly, in part because he's had good training (his father, Mark Patrick, is a sports-talk radio host). So I think he'll do fine with the spotlight.
And Storen does deserve the spotlight after playing second fiddle to Stephen Strasburg the last 11 months. Strasburg's day will come soon enough. Right now, Storen gets to soak up the limelight as a big-league ballplayer.
At the same time, Drew better be ready to pitch, because the Nationals certainly need him right now. They head into this abbreviated, two-game series against the Cardinals riding their first three-game losing streak of the season. With Redbirds ace ChrisRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals