May 17, 2010, 12:00 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats hope to score more runs in St. Louis than they did in Colorado.
DENVER — When I packed my bags a week ago and embarked on this latest road trip for the Nationals, I was expecting to cover only the first two legs (New York, Colorado) and then head home while the team finished up in St. Louis.
But then the Nats went and purchased Drew Storen's contract, and the rookie reliever will be in uniform and available to pitch in a big-league game for the first time tonight. And clearly I couldn't skip out on that.
So, thanks to some help from the good folks at CSNwashington.com, I'm calling an audible at the line of scrimmage. Instead of flying from Denver to Dulles this morning, I'm flying from Denver to St. Louis, where hopefully a good Storen story or two awaits.
I'll be interested to see how the 22-year-old handles all the attention. He's typically very outgoing and media-friendly, in part because he's had good training (his father, Mark Patrick, is a sports-talk radio host). So I think he'll do fine with the spotlight.
And Storen does deserve the spotlight after playing second fiddle to Stephen Strasburg the last 11 months. Strasburg's day will come soon enough. Right now, Storen gets to soak up the limelight as a big-league ballplayer.
At the same time, Drew better be ready to pitch, because the Nationals certainly need him right now. They head into this abbreviated, two-game series against the Cardinals riding their first three-game losing streak of the season. With Redbirds ace ChrisRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)
- Williams contemplates look of Nationals' lineup
- MLB to discuss home plate collisions at Winter Meetings
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast
- Williams on Harper, Strasburg and more
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo on lefty reliever market (VIDEO)
- Nationals' asking price high on Storen, Clippard