May 18, 2010, 2:11 PM EDT
ST. LOUIS — Now that Drew Storen's big-league debut is out of the way, all eyes can shift to the other guy about to debut with the Nationals. (Who would have thought the spotlight would shift off Stephen Strasburg, if only for 24 hours?)
We've been outlining in detail the Strasburg Plan for some time now, but it is becoming clearer how this all is going to play out. Yesterday, MASN announced it will televise the right-hander's next two starts with Syracuse (tonight at Rochester, tape-delayed at 11:30 p.m., and May 23 against Toledo live at 5 p.m.).
So we know Strasburg is pitching at least twice more in the minors, and he won't get an extra day of rest between the two. The key will be when and where the next start after that takes place.
Syracuse has May 26 off but has a scheduled doubleheader the following day at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. If Strasburg stays on a five-day schedule, he would pitch May 28, also at S/W-B. But what if the organization wants to give him one last home start at Syracuse? By bumping him back one more day, he could start May 29, still against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre but now in Syracuse.
That would then line up Strasburg to make his Nationals debut June 4 against the Reds, and also set him up to make his second big-league start June 10 against the Pirates. Both games would be at Nationals Park.
The only other realistic possibility would have Strasburg staying on a strict, five-day schedule. If he does that, he'd pitch May 28 at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, then June 2 at Buffalo (both road starts). AllRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense