May 18, 2010, 2:11 PM EST
ST. LOUIS — Now that Drew Storen's big-league debut is out of the way, all eyes can shift to the other guy about to debut with the Nationals. (Who would have thought the spotlight would shift off Stephen Strasburg, if only for 24 hours?)
We've been outlining in detail the Strasburg Plan for some time now, but it is becoming clearer how this all is going to play out. Yesterday, MASN announced it will televise the right-hander's next two starts with Syracuse (tonight at Rochester, tape-delayed at 11:30 p.m., and May 23 against Toledo live at 5 p.m.).
So we know Strasburg is pitching at least twice more in the minors, and he won't get an extra day of rest between the two. The key will be when and where the next start after that takes place.
Syracuse has May 26 off but has a scheduled doubleheader the following day at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. If Strasburg stays on a five-day schedule, he would pitch May 28, also at S/W-B. But what if the organization wants to give him one last home start at Syracuse? By bumping him back one more day, he could start May 29, still against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre but now in Syracuse.
That would then line up Strasburg to make his Nationals debut June 4 against the Reds, and also set him up to make his second big-league start June 10 against the Pirates. Both games would be at Nationals Park.
The only other realistic possibility would have Strasburg staying on a strict, five-day schedule. If he does that, he'd pitch May 28 at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, then June 2 at Buffalo (both road starts). AllRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher