May 18, 2010, 4:47 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Drew Storen's debut couldn't offset Craig Stammen's rough first or Adam Dunn's strikeout.
ST. LOUIS — Years from now, we'll probably remember this as Drew Storen's first major-league appearance, an impressive relief outing that featured a gutsy strikeout of Matt Holliday on a 3-2 fastball, with Albert Pujols lurking in the on-deck circle.
But tonight — Storen's nice debut aside — it's hard to overlook the two key plate appearances that more than anything else produced this 6-2 loss to the Cardinals.
Craig Stammen's two-out walk of Holliday in the bottom of the first opened the floodgates for the Cardinals, who proceeded to score four runs and jump out to an early lead. And Adam Dunn's strikeout on a 3-2 fastball at his eyelids in the top of the seventh killed the Nationals' last, best chance at rallying to win.
Change the outcome or either or both of those plate appearances, and we're talking about an inspiring Nats win right now instead of a fourth-straight loss.
Let's begin with the first-inning walk, because it set the tone for the entire evening. Stammen cruised through the game's first two batters, getting Felipe Lopez to ground out and then striking out Ryan Ludwick. Even with Holliday at the plate and Pujols — or, as Jim Riggleman referred to him: "Babe Ruth" — in the on-deck circle,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels