May 19, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats missed Adam Dunn's bat the last three days.
Only three days ago, the Nationals were flying high in Colorado, owners of a 20-15 record and a lineup that had busted out at last.
When the Nats arrived at Coors Field Friday afternoon, they had scored a combined 26 runs over the previous three days and players and coaches spoke as though this was finally the kind of productive offense they had been expecting to emerge for a while.
So what happened? Five days and five losses later, that same offense has produced a total of 10 runs. And thus the Nationals club that returns home tonight to face the Mets is sitting at .500 (20-20).
Perhaps we were too quick in declaring the Nats lineup "clicking on all cylinders." Or perhaps there were other factors at play. Such as the fact Jim Riggleman hasn't fielded his top 1-through-8 in any of the last five games. Indeed, we haven't seen the lineup of Morgan-Kennedy-Zimmerman-Dunn-Willingham-Rodriguez-Bernadina-Desmond since the 14-6 victory Thursday night in Denver.
It's not Riggleman's fault. It's the weather's. And the injury bug's.
First off, Friday night's game in Colorado was rained out. The resulting day-night doubleheader Saturday forced Riggleman to give some guys a breather, not wanting to run them into the ground duringRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season