May 21, 2010, 6:29 PM EST
The Nationals announced this afternoon that Willy Taveras was unconditionally released, ending the outfielder’s brief tenure with the organization.
Taveras had been designated for assignment Saturday when the club needed to activate Michael Morse off the 15-day disabled list. He cleared waivers and could have been outrighted to Class AAA, but the Nationals were already stocked with outfielders at Syracuse.
Taveras, who made the Opening Day roster as a spring training invitee, hit just .200 (7-for-35) with four RBI in 27 games.
Reliever Brian Bruney, meanwhile, is still waiting to learn his fate after getting designated for assignment Sunday. If he clears waivers (as expected), he can either elect to accept his outright to Syracuse or become a free agent and try to sign with another club.
UPDATE AT 8:04 P.M. — Bruney indeed cleared waivers and refused his assignment to Syracuse. The Nats can still try to trade him over the next week, or else release him.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Ben Revere fill void left by Span?