May 21, 2010, 6:29 PM EDT
The Nationals announced this afternoon that Willy Taveras was unconditionally released, ending the outfielder’s brief tenure with the organization.
Taveras had been designated for assignment Saturday when the club needed to activate Michael Morse off the 15-day disabled list. He cleared waivers and could have been outrighted to Class AAA, but the Nationals were already stocked with outfielders at Syracuse.
Taveras, who made the Opening Day roster as a spring training invitee, hit just .200 (7-for-35) with four RBI in 27 games.
Reliever Brian Bruney, meanwhile, is still waiting to learn his fate after getting designated for assignment Sunday. If he clears waivers (as expected), he can either elect to accept his outright to Syracuse or become a free agent and try to sign with another club.
UPDATE AT 8:04 P.M. — Bruney indeed cleared waivers and refused his assignment to Syracuse. The Nats can still try to trade him over the next week, or else release him.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals return home for 4-2 over Mets
- Span leaves Tuesday's game with possible injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff