May 21, 2010, 4:09 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nyjer Morgan watches Ike Davis' fourth-inning drive carom off the wall.
Those were the words of Jim Riggleman following tonight's 10-7 loss to the Mets, a game that wasn't nearly as compelling as the final score would indicate. The Nationals trailed 10-1 in the sixth inning, having gotten poor pitching, poor defense and poor baserunning. That they mounted a late rally and actually had the tying run at the plate in the eighth only made the earlier sloppiness sting more.
Riggleman had some words for his players afterward. He wouldn't reveal exactly what he said, but rest assured it included several words that can't be printed in a family blog.
"I'll let you run with your imagination on that," the manager said.
No one was allowed to leave Nationals Park tonight feeling good about their performance, but Luis Atilano's ragged start certainly set the tone for the evening. The rookie right-hander was roughed up for seven runs (six earned) and nine hits in 4 1/3 innings, continuing a downward trend since his impressive big-league debut four weeks ago.
It's no secret someone from the current rotation is going to lose his job when Stephen Strasburg arrives in two weeks or so. Atilano is beginning to make a case for being the odd man out when that rosterRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants