May 22, 2010, 8:06 PM EDT
Derek Norris, the Nationals' top catching prospect who was hit in the head with a 95 mph fastball last night, is doing fine and is not expected to suffer any significant residual effects from an event that initially scared teammates and the organization.
Norris suffered a "slight concussion," according to Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo. The 21-year-old catcher at Class A Potomac dropped to the ground after getting drilled in the head by Boston Red Sox prospect Zach Hammes in the seventh inning at Salem, Va., and lost consciousness for about 45 seconds. He left the field under his own power, and though he was taken to an area hospital for observation, he was released without needing to spend the night.
Norris was wearing the recently designed S100 batting helmet that is now required in the minor leagues, and Nationals officials believe that helped soften the blow.
The organization's minor-league player of the year in 2009, Norris will be held out of baseball activities for at least a couple of days. Once he's been cleared to resume, team doctors will monitor him closely and not let him return to game action until it's clear he has noRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win