May 22, 2010, 3:45 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Derek Norris, who appeared in big-league camp this spring, has dealt with several injuries.
Derek Norris, the Nationals' top catching prospect, was hit in the head by a fastball during tonight's game at Class A Potomac and lay motionless on the field for nearly 10 minutes.
According to a press release from the Potomac Nationals, Norris was conscious and moving his extremities. He was taken to a hospital for evaluation.
The 21-year-old, who earned organizational player of the year honors in 2009, has endured a difficult stretch since the end of the season. He broke the hamate bone in his left wrist while playing in the Florida instructional league in September, an injury that kept him out of the Arizona Fall League.
Norris appeared in his first big-league camp this spring but missed considerable time at Potomac after the season began when the wrist continued to bother him. He was playing in only his 13th game this season when he stepped to the plate in the seventh inning tonight in Salem, Va., and was struck in the head by a fastball from Boston RedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets