May 22, 2010, 3:45 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Derek Norris, who appeared in big-league camp this spring, has dealt with several injuries.
Derek Norris, the Nationals' top catching prospect, was hit in the head by a fastball during tonight's game at Class A Potomac and lay motionless on the field for nearly 10 minutes.
According to a press release from the Potomac Nationals, Norris was conscious and moving his extremities. He was taken to a hospital for evaluation.
The 21-year-old, who earned organizational player of the year honors in 2009, has endured a difficult stretch since the end of the season. He broke the hamate bone in his left wrist while playing in the Florida instructional league in September, an injury that kept him out of the Arizona Fall League.
Norris appeared in his first big-league camp this spring but missed considerable time at Potomac after the season began when the wrist continued to bother him. He was playing in only his 13th game this season when he stepped to the plate in the seventh inning tonight in Salem, Va., and was struck in the head by a fastball from Boston RedRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves' Freeman: 'I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people'
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Nate McLouth
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Kevin Frandsen
- Watch Werth arrive at jail in Fairfax to begin sentence
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time