May 24, 2010, 2:58 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats will be without Pudge for at least two weeks.
[UPDATE AT 4:40 P.M. — The Nationals will purchase Carlos Maldonado's contract from Class AAA Syracuse tomorrow and add him to the big-league roster as Ivan Rodriguez's replacement. Maldonado, 31, appeared in 21 games with the Pirates in 2006-07 and was hitting .218 in 26 games at Syracuse before his promotion.]
Ivan Rodriguez was placed on the 15-day disabled list this morning with a lower back strain, a significant blow for a Nationals club that is woefully thin in the catching department right now.
When Rodriguez had to come out of Saturday's game against the Orioles with a recurrence of the back pain that has nagged him on and off all season, it didn't raise too many red flags. But then the future Hall of Famer said he would need at least a couple of days off. When he didn't board the team's charter flight to San Francisco last night, a DL move seemed imminent.
All of a sudden, the Nationals face a major dilemma behind the plate. Wil Nieves takes over as the primary starter, but he's never been an everyday catcher in the big leagues. And the organization has no viable backup to him at this moment.
Chris Coste (picked up in late spring) just had Tommy John surgery and is done for the year. Jamie Burke (picked up late last season in a similar emergency situation) is still recovering from knee surgery. Jesus Flores is nowhere near ready to return from his shoulder injury. The two catchers at Syracuse are journeymen Carlos Maldonado andRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen