May 25, 2010, 9:13 PM EDT
SAN FRANCISCO — The Nationals have officially purchased the contract of catcher Carlos Maldonado from Class AAA Syracuse and granted reliever Brian Bruney his unconditional release.
Maldonado becomes the primary backup to catcher Wil Nieves, who takes over regular duties with Ivan Rodriguez on the DL. The 31-year-old journeyman has 21 games of big-league experience; he hit .163 (7-for-43) with the Pirates in 2006-07. At Syracuse, he was batting .218 with four doubles, a homer and nine RBI.
Bruney had been designated for assignment May 17 after posting a 7.64 ERA in 19 relief appearances. After clearing waivers, he had the choice of accepting his outright assignment to Class AAA or becoming a free agent. He did not accept the assignment, so the Nats granted him his release, and he’s now free to sign with any other club.
Acquired in December from the Yankees in exchange for the top pick in the Rule 5 draft, Bruney was awarded $1.5 million in an arbitration hearing in February. The Nationals are responsible for his full salary.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera