May 25, 2010, 9:13 PM EDT
SAN FRANCISCO — The Nationals have officially purchased the contract of catcher Carlos Maldonado from Class AAA Syracuse and granted reliever Brian Bruney his unconditional release.
Maldonado becomes the primary backup to catcher Wil Nieves, who takes over regular duties with Ivan Rodriguez on the DL. The 31-year-old journeyman has 21 games of big-league experience; he hit .163 (7-for-43) with the Pirates in 2006-07. At Syracuse, he was batting .218 with four doubles, a homer and nine RBI.
Bruney had been designated for assignment May 17 after posting a 7.64 ERA in 19 relief appearances. After clearing waivers, he had the choice of accepting his outright assignment to Class AAA or becoming a free agent. He did not accept the assignment, so the Nats granted him his release, and he’s now free to sign with any other club.
Acquired in December from the Yankees in exchange for the top pick in the Rule 5 draft, Bruney was awarded $1.5 million in an arbitration hearing in February. The Nationals are responsible for his full salary.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats