May 25, 2010, 8:07 PM EDT
SAN FRANCISCO — The first round of NL All-Star voting results was released today, and if nothing else, it's clear the rest of the baseball world isn't paying much attention to the Nationals' surprising early season success.
Only Ivan Rodriguez (third among NL catchers) ranks in the top five at his position. The future Hall of Famer, who was placed on the 15-day DL yesterday with a lower back strain, has received 247,998 votes, behind the Cardinals' Yadier Molina (316,795) and the Phillies' Carlos Ruiz (259,227).
Ryan Zimmerman, who leads all regular NL third basemen with a .579 slugging percentage and .951 OPS and is the league's reigning Silver Slugger and Gold Glove awards winner, does not appear among the top-five vote-getters released by MLB. The Phillies' Placido Polanco holds a healthy lead over the Mets' David Wright, the Brewers' Casey McGehee, the Giants' Pablo Sandoval and the Braves' Chipper Jones.
As is often the case, players from the most-popular and most-successful teams dominate the early voting. Philadelphia starters rank either first or second at every position. Milwaukee players rank third or higher at every position but catcher. There are no players from the Pirates, Reds, Rockies or Padres among the top five infield positions or top 15 outfielders.
Final rosters for the All-Star Game, which takes place July 13 in Anaheim, will be announced July 4. Here are the complete ballotsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg's changeup key in Nats' win against Phillies
- Strasburg dazzles in Span’s return
- Taylor sent down to Syracuse, hopes to develop consistency
- Nats activate Span off disabled list for Sunday's game
- Strasburg starts as Nats host Phillies in series finale
- Zimmermann still trying to find groove
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain