May 25, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
SAN FRANCISCO — Stephen Strasburg will start for Class AAA Saturday again on Saturday night. After that? It's still up in the air, but June 4 at Nationals Park remains a strong possibility.
The Nationals announced today the top pitching prospect will return to the mound Saturday in Syracuse, facing Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He'll pitch on normal rest following last night's five-inning start against Toledo.
MASN will once again televise Strasburg's minor-league start, this time on tape delay following the Nationals' game in San Diego (starting at approximately midnight).
The Nats actualy need a fill-in starter Saturday against the Padres to take Scott Olsen's place, and Mike Rizzo didn't rule out the possibility last week that Strasburg would be given consideration for that slot. The GM, though, said he wanted to evaluate the 21-year-old's performance in last night's Class AAA outing first. Strasburg wound up allowing two runs (one earned) over five innings, his least-effective start of four so far with Syracuse.
Once Strasburg pitches Saturday against the Yankees' top affiliate, he would be well-positioned to make his big-league debut Friday, June 4 against the Reds in Washington. He would need one day of extra rest to line up for that game, the opener of a six-game homestand againstRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins