May 26, 2010, 3:13 AM EST
SAN FRANCISCO — Jesus Flores was supposed to be insurance in case Ivan Rodriguez got hurt. Jamie Burke was supposed to be insurance in case Flores got hurt. Chris Coste was supposed to be insurance in case they all got hurt.
Thus, will all four of those catchers currently battling injuries, the Nationals are left with Wil Nieves and Carlos Maldonado holding down the fort right now. It’s hardly an ideal scenario, but as you’ll read in this piece for CSNwashington.com, the club has faith these two veterans can carry the load until Pudge returns from his back injury.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair