May 26, 2010, 3:13 AM EST
SAN FRANCISCO — Jesus Flores was supposed to be insurance in case Ivan Rodriguez got hurt. Jamie Burke was supposed to be insurance in case Flores got hurt. Chris Coste was supposed to be insurance in case they all got hurt.
Thus, will all four of those catchers currently battling injuries, the Nationals are left with Wil Nieves and Carlos Maldonado holding down the fort right now. It’s hardly an ideal scenario, but as you’ll read in this piece for CSNwashington.com, the club has faith these two veterans can carry the load until Pudge returns from his back injury.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals in no rush to acquire left-hander
- Rizzo talks up Espinosa amid trade rumors
- Report: Phillies willing to trade All-Star Dominic Brown
- Long-time Nats nemesis Halladay retires
- La Russa, Cox, Torre elected to Hall of Fame
- Lefties on agenda as Winter Meetings begin
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings