May 26, 2010, 3:13 AM EDT
SAN FRANCISCO — Jesus Flores was supposed to be insurance in case Ivan Rodriguez got hurt. Jamie Burke was supposed to be insurance in case Flores got hurt. Chris Coste was supposed to be insurance in case they all got hurt.
Thus, will all four of those catchers currently battling injuries, the Nationals are left with Wil Nieves and Carlos Maldonado holding down the fort right now. It’s hardly an ideal scenario, but as you’ll read in this piece for CSNwashington.com, the club has faith these two veterans can carry the load until Pudge returns from his back injury.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trio of Nationals players becomes free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays
- Nationals roster review: Jordan Zimmermann