May 26, 2010, 6:05 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez gets some counsel from Wil Nieves and Steve McCatty.
SAN FRANCISCO — Livan Hernandez stood at his locker in the visitors clubhouse at AT&T Park, a quizzical look on his face as he tried to explain the five-batter sequence that cost him and the Nationals tonight's ballgame.
"I still can't believe I lose that game with two outs," he said. "It's unbelievable."
Considering how well Hernandez pitched against the Giants every other moment he was on the mound, it is pretty unbelievable he wound up on the wrong end of a 4-2 decision. But that's what happens when you regularly play low-scoring, tight ballgames like the Nats do. The margin for error is razor-thin, and tonight Livo was the one left bleeding to death.
The situation: Bottom of the fifth, scoreless game, two outs and an 0-2 count on Giants starter Todd Wellemeyer. A pitcher couldn't conjure up a more-advantageous scenario, facing an opponent whose owns a career .135 batting average and zero extra-base hits.
"I have a lot of holes," Wellemeyer told reporters inside the Giants clubhouse.
So how exactly did the San Francisco right-hander manage to loft a base hit to right on Hernandez's 0-2 offering?
"I was looking outside," Wellemeyer said. "He threw it out there and I got a little duck fart over the first baseman's head."
Little did any of the 27,981 inside the ballpark realize Wellemeyer's, uh, "duck fart" would turn this game upside-down. Andres Torres followed with a single to center. Edgar Renteria followed by taking another down-and-away pitch to left for an RBI single. Freddy SanchezRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals