Game 50: Nats at Padres

May 29, 2010, 9:05 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
J.D. Martin returns to the majors tonight at Petco Park.

SAN DIEGO — It's another beautiful day in paradise, where hopefully there won't be any lineup card mishaps tonight. Then again, based on what we learned last night, the Nationals could write in Stephen Strasburg's name as their starting pitcher and not be penalized for it.

I don't think Jim Riggleman will be trying any shenanigans like that. If anything, I have a hunch he'll proofread tonight's lineup card about 10 times, then ask every one of his coaches, players, trainers and clubhouse attendants to do the same before handing it over to Tim Tschida.

Assuming no mistakes, the Nats will send J.D. Martin to the mound for the first time this season. The right-hander, who was recalled from Class AAA to take over Scott Olsen's rotation slot, went 2-1 with a 2.99 ERA in six starts at Syracuse. As we saw last year when he was up, Martin generally keeps his team in the game. He doesn't blow you away at all, but more often than not, he seems to get the job done.

No real surprises in the rest of the lineup. Ian Desmond gets the night off, probably more because Riggleman wants to get Adam Kennedy into the lineup than a real desire to rest Desmond.

Check back for updates throughout…

NATIONALS at PADRES
Where: Petco Park
Gametime: 8:35 p.m.
TV: MASN2-HD
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Clear, 67 degrees, Wind 5 mph LF to RF

STARTING LINEUPS
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Cristian Guzman
1B Adam Dunn

1. Brad - May 29, 2010 at 9:26 PM

stop sitting Desmond

2. natsfan1a - May 29, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Wow. Somehow that 50 really jumped out at me. Hard to believe we're nearly one-third of the way through the season. Who seriously thought we'd have the record that we do now back in spring training? I sure didn't (and, no, I didn't think it would be better ;-)). Go, Nats!

3. Souldrummer - May 29, 2010 at 9:38 PM

I don't have a major problem sitting Desmond tonight. Latos is a nasty, nasty righty and I believe that sitting Desmond once a week against righties isn't a major problem. I wish that we could abandon the Guzman can't hit in the two hole logic, though. Kennedy has been putting together the professional at bats that would be better in front of the boppers. Plus Guzman's splits are much weaker against right handed pitchers. It will be interesting to see how Guzman and Kennedy perform tonight, though, and if there are any defensive plays that Guzman misses that Desmond likely would have made.

4. Grandstander - May 29, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Well, if you're gonna sit Desmond, tonight's the night to do it. As Souldrummer said above, Latos is a nasty righty. Desmond is hitting just .260/.301/.365 against righties this year. Also, Martin tends to be a flyball pitcher, mitigating (somewhat) the gaping hole we're gonna have up the middle with Guzman at SS.I'm a huge hater on Guzman, but even I've shut up about him, for now… When he gets hot, he's fun to watch (at bat, not on the field)

5. Ernie - May 29, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Here's a random question that has nothing to do with tonight's game:Does anyone know the music played for every player in the Nats' lineup when they step to the plate? Dunn gets "Sister Christian" some of the time, and Willingham sometimes has the Outfield's "Your Love." Desmond gets a re-mix of "Sunglasses at Night." Anyone know an easy way to find what the others are? As for changes to the lineup–Desmond, Morgan, etc–I swore that once my prayers were answered and Bruney was cut I would never ask for anything else…

6. Grandstander - May 29, 2010 at 11:06 PM

C Nieves No Soy Yo start at 2:24 (Tony Vega) C Rodriguez Deliverance (Bubba Sparks) I Desmond I Wear My Stunna Glasses at Night (Federation) Warrior – Buffalo Soldier (Kymani Marley) I Dunn In the Air Tonight (Phil Collins) Turn The Page (Metallica) I Gonzalez Prrrrum (Cosculluela) Arremangala arrempujala (Los karkiks) I Guzman How We Do I Kennedy I Wanna Rock (Snoop) I Zimmerman Chillin (Wale) Down and Out (Tantric) Use Somebody (Kings of Leon)O Bernadina My Time (Fabolous) O Harris Wired to the T (Dorrough) Hands Up (T Pain) O Maxwell All I Do Is Win (DJ Khaled) O Morgan Blow Da Whistle (Too Short) O Morse Mikey Rocks (Cool Kids) O Willingham Your Love (The Outfield) Chicken Fried (Zack Brown) Even Flow (Pearl Jam)P Atilano Grito Mundial (Daddy Yankee) P Batista Virtual Diva (Don Omar) P Bruney Eminem- Not Afraid Lil Wayne- Drop the World Eminem- Music BoxP Burnett Here We Go Again (White Snake) I Got a Name (J. Croce) P Capps Final Countdown (Europe) P Clippard Peaches (POTUS) P Walker Higher Ground (Red Hot Chili Peppers) SP Lannan Riot (3 Days Grace) – pitching 2 Hit 2 Stop (Barkays) – hitting SP Olsen Requiem of a Dream Remix- pitching Pursuit of Happiness (Kid Cudi) – hitting SP Stammen Holler Back (Lost Trailors) Eye of the Tiger (Survivor) Bonfire (C. Morgan)P Storen Eight Second Ride (Jake Owen) Behind the Mask (Anarchy Club) La Grange (ZZ Top)

7. Souldrummer - May 29, 2010 at 11:18 PM

@Ernie This is a truly heroic comment. One of the best that I've seen anywhere in the Natmosphere.

8. Dave - May 29, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Dude, Grandstander, how did you do that?!? Incredible!

9. Souldrummer - May 29, 2010 at 11:36 PM

@Ernie You're cool too.@Grandstander truly epic. Epic. Put this man on the payroll, Mark!

10. Mark Zuckerman - May 29, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Grandstander appears to have better sources within the Nats organization than me! He/she's hired!

11. Traveler8 - May 29, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Grandstander, thanks much!

12. Grandstander - May 30, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Thank you all! But thanks to the Nats production team as well! I'll start work on Tuesday, Mark. Do you have dental?

13. Knoxville Nat - May 30, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Grandstander,Thanks for reminding me just how old I am. I didn't recognize the name of any of those songs, barely some of the artists!! :)

14. Mark Zuckerman - May 30, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Grandstander: No dental, no health plan, no 401K. We'll no-frills here at the Insider. Gotta keep the overhead low. :)

15. NatinBeantown - May 30, 2010 at 1:07 AM

If Halladay pulls this off at the Marlins park, is it possible the combined attendence of two perfect games could be less than 25k? (with probably 100k claiming they were there…)

16. NatinBeantown - May 30, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Nice small ball to get a few back, boys.

17. Spike94wl - May 30, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Mark, I watch the Nats games on ESPN Gamecast and it's reporting that none of the runs Martin gave up were earned. Is this accurate? It seems fishy to me.

18. Grandstander - May 30, 2010 at 1:27 AM

Yeah, Kennedy boofed a grounder with 2 outs. As much as I hate the Phillies, it was pretty cool to see the end of that game. Now back to some Nats baseball!

19. Spike94wl - May 30, 2010 at 1:36 AM

I know Kennedy made the error, but Martin allowed a single and a homer so shouldn't two of those runs be earned?

20. Steve M. - May 30, 2010 at 1:49 AM

This was discussed last week about Nyjer positioning in the OF.Again, if he is back 5 to 10 feet, isn't he set at the wall to catch that Hundley triple?Way too many balls hit over Nyjer's head.

21. Doc - May 30, 2010 at 1:58 AM

Totally neat Grandstander! Now if Mark could put some sound to the Insider, each time a respective batter gets in the box, we'd have it knocked.Nyjer needs some serious flyball practice–he must have missed his Little League drills.

22. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 30, 2010 at 2:23 AM

We stand in awe, Grandstander. We stand on guard for you.

23. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 30, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Does anyone have Nook Logan's cell phone number? Or he is blacklisted?

24. Sec$39.99 - May 30, 2010 at 2:36 AM

Spike, Rule 10.16 (c) and (d)(c) No run shall be earned when scored by a runner whose presence on the bases is prolonged by an error, if such runner would have been put out by errorless play.(d) No run shall be earned when the scoring runner's advance has been aided by an error, a passed ball or defensive interference or obstruction, if in the official scorer’s judgment the run would not have scored without the aid of such misplay.So the runner who reached on Kennedy's error, and all subsequent runs, are not earned, because that would have been the third out.

25. Dave - May 30, 2010 at 2:39 AM

Yep. Two outs when Kennedy's error happened. None of those runs in the first were earned.

26. Doc - May 30, 2010 at 2:45 AM

Just wondering, but I don't think that Nyjer knows how to listen and take instruction. The fielding stuff is pretty basic. He has the best in Rick Eckstein for a batting instructor. What he's doing on the bases is anybody's guess! If you can't do any or all of that stuff, then it's time to change your name to Lastings Milledge, and play for the Pirates.

27. cadeck13 - May 30, 2010 at 2:46 AM

Seriously, I am not a Nyjer hater/basher…but he sure is making it look like we traded Lastings Milledge for Lastings Milledge. He needs to exorcise Tony Plush and get Nyjer Morgan back in the game.BTW – very impressive Granderstander.

28. Ernie - May 30, 2010 at 2:48 AM

Grandstander: A million thank yous for the song list. I have wanted to put together a playlist for my wife to listen to at work. You've helped me earn a lot of brownie points!

29. rmoore446 - May 30, 2010 at 3:44 AM

I just listened to Nyjer's locker room talk to reporters after the game and it did not increase my confidence in him. Asked if he were having problems going back on the ball, he said with a mystified look "Problems? No, I'm not having problems going back. I'm right there. The ball just isn't going into my glove." Well, gee, isn't that the whole point!!! He was asked about his leaps that continuously misjudge the ball direction and he seemed not to grasp the point. He doesn't see it as a problem. I wonder if he ever looks at tape of some of his misadventures in the outfield?