May 29, 2010, 5:21 AM EDT
SAN DIEGO — The Nationals optioned outfielder Justin Maxwell to Class AAA Syracuse after tonight’s 5-3 win over the Padres, an expected move needed to clear space for right-hander J.D. Martin, who will start tomorrow night.
Maxwell was called up from Syracuse on Sunday when Scott Olsen was placed on the 15-day disabled list. Because the Nats didn’t need another starting pitcher until this weekend, they opted to add an extra bench player for the week.
Maxwell, who has already been optioned out three times this year (including once during spring training), got a chance to start both yesterday in San Francisco and tonight in San Diego. He went 0-for-7 with two walks in those games.
Martin, who was 2-1 with a 2.99 ERA at Syracuse, will officially be recalled tomorrow morning. He already flew to San Diego yesterday and was at the team hotel during tonight’s game.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates
- Rizzo on firing Williams as manager: 'A tough day'
- Nats leaning toward manager with experience
- Report: Nats will look at Cal Ripken for managerial job
- Jordan Zimmermann releases touching statement thanking DC
- Could Nats hire Francona or Scioscia as manager?
- Denard Span supports fired Nationals coach on Twitter
- Updated: Nats clean house with coaching staff, hope some return
- Matt Williams fired after 2 seasons as Nats manager