May 29, 2010, 5:21 AM EST
SAN DIEGO — The Nationals optioned outfielder Justin Maxwell to Class AAA Syracuse after tonight’s 5-3 win over the Padres, an expected move needed to clear space for right-hander J.D. Martin, who will start tomorrow night.
Maxwell was called up from Syracuse on Sunday when Scott Olsen was placed on the 15-day disabled list. Because the Nats didn’t need another starting pitcher until this weekend, they opted to add an extra bench player for the week.
Maxwell, who has already been optioned out three times this year (including once during spring training), got a chance to start both yesterday in San Francisco and tonight in San Diego. He went 0-for-7 with two walks in those games.
Martin, who was 2-1 with a 2.99 ERA at Syracuse, will officially be recalled tomorrow morning. He already flew to San Diego yesterday and was at the team hotel during tonight’s game.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires