May 29, 2010, 1:43 AM EDT
SAN DIEGO — There is no bigger baseball figure in this town than Tony Gwynn, the Padres’ Hall-of-Fame outfielder who now serves as a color analyst on their TV broadcasts. Gwynn, of course, also is the baseball coach at San Diego State, where he helped mold Stephen Strasburg into the top prospect he is now.
Gwynn was a popular man at Petco Park this afternoon. Everyone wanted to know how he thinks his protege will do once he arrives in Washington in the next seven-to-10 days.
As you’ll read in this article on CSNwashington.com, Gwynn has no doubt Strasburg will handle all the pressure and hype with his usual aplomb.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1