May 29, 2010, 1:43 AM EDT
SAN DIEGO — There is no bigger baseball figure in this town than Tony Gwynn, the Padres’ Hall-of-Fame outfielder who now serves as a color analyst on their TV broadcasts. Gwynn, of course, also is the baseball coach at San Diego State, where he helped mold Stephen Strasburg into the top prospect he is now.
Gwynn was a popular man at Petco Park this afternoon. Everyone wanted to know how he thinks his protege will do once he arrives in Washington in the next seven-to-10 days.
As you’ll read in this article on CSNwashington.com, Gwynn has no doubt Strasburg will handle all the pressure and hype with his usual aplomb.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws