May 30, 2010, 5:31 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez and Jon Garland square off in the series finale at Petco Park.
SAN DIEGO — The Nationals came west at the beginning of the week, facing a difficult road trip that kicked off with six games against the tough Giants and Padres. Four more games in Houston against a wretched Astros club still await before this road trip is over, but the toughest leg ends today at Petco Park.
A win in the series finale against the Padres would leave the Nats at 3-3 on this west coast swing. It would be hard not to be satisfied with that. Even a loss today would leave them at 2-4, hardly an embarrassment given the competition. So a victory today could be looked at as gravy, and certainly the Nationals have to like their chances with Livan Hernandez on the mound. Jon Garland, who spurned Washington in favor of San Diego last winter as a free agent, has enjoyed a fine season as well. So this is no pushover.
Jim Riggleman sticks with his regular lineup. Nyjer Morgan remains in center field. Roger Bernadina remains in right field. Wil Nieves remains behind the plate.
Check back for updates throughout…
NATIONALS at PADRES
Where: Petco Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Sunny, 72 degrees, Wind 5 mph LF to RF
CF Nyjer Morgan
2B Adam Kennedy
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?