Jun 2, 2010, 9:00 PM EDT
Photo courtesy Houston Astros
The Nats look to shake off last night's tough loss at Minute Maid Park.
What a tough way to lose last night. After falling behind early, the Nationals rallied to take a 7-6 lead in the top of the ninth, only to watch as the Astros stole the game back and won 8-7 on Lance Berkman's two-out, two-strike, two-run single in the bottom of the ninth.
A couple of thoughts about the way the game ended: 1) Yes, Berkman went around on that check swing and should have been called out, ending the game. 2) You can't blame it all on that missed call, because the Nats had plenty of other chances to win the game without that play. 3) Matt Capps really only made one mistake the entire inning, on the double by Cory Sullivan. He was done in by Ryan Zimmerman's error, an intentional walk and a very nice piece of hitting by Berkman on that final pitch (which was low and out of the strike zone). 4) The Nats had some golden opportunities to pad their lead in the eighth and ninth but got some poor at-bats from Adam Kennedy, Cristian Guzman, Josh Willingham and Alberto Gonzalez.
So instead of going for their third straight tonight, the Nationals will look to bounce back from yet another tough, one-run loss. John Lannan faces Wandy Rodriguez in a matchup of left-handers.
I didn't make the trip to Houston with the club, so there will be no in-game updates. As always, please feel free to converse with each other throughout…
NATIONALS at ASTROS
Where: Minute Maid Park
Gametime: 8:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 86 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to CF
CF Nyjer Morgan
2B Cristian Guzman
1B Adam Dunn
3B Ryan Zimmerman
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice
- Nats hope to bounce back in Miami with Fister starting