Jun 6, 2010, 10:53 PM EDT
There was no closer in baseball more reliable through the season’s first two months than Matt Capps. And there has been no closer in baseball less reliable over the last week than Capps, who this afternoon blew his third save opportunity in six days and directly contributed to the Nationals’ 5-4, 10-inning loss to the Reds.
Capps has been the victim of some bad defense and bad umpiring, but he hasn’t helped himself by hanging several sliders, including the one to Scott Rolen today that wound up over the left-field fence.
Read what Capps and Jim Riggleman had to say about this surprising decline in performance on CSNwashington.com.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent