Jun 6, 2010, 10:53 PM EST
There was no closer in baseball more reliable through the season’s first two months than Matt Capps. And there has been no closer in baseball less reliable over the last week than Capps, who this afternoon blew his third save opportunity in six days and directly contributed to the Nationals’ 5-4, 10-inning loss to the Reds.
Capps has been the victim of some bad defense and bad umpiring, but he hasn’t helped himself by hanging several sliders, including the one to Scott Rolen today that wound up over the left-field fence.
Read what Capps and Jim Riggleman had to say about this surprising decline in performance on CSNwashington.com.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito